You may consider loud snoring no more than a minor annoyance. But if the underlying cause of your snoring is obstructive sleep apnea, it can also threaten your health. Several serious conditions have been linked to apnea, including high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes. Our dentists treat sleep apnea in Richmond with a custom-made sleep appliance.
The appliance, which you wear at night, will:
- Keep your airway clear so you can breathe comfortably
- Reduce or eliminate snoring, which will make both you and your bed partner happy
- Improve your health by lessening the risks of conditions associated with apnea
- Make you less irritable, so you enjoy better relationships with others
- End headaches, dry mouth, daytime fatigue, and other sleep apnea symptoms
Breathe Easier With a Custom Sleep Appliance
If you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, your airway becomes blocked repeatedly during the night. This interrupts your breathing, causing you to gasp for air. These interruptions also prevent you from getting the kind of deep sleep you need to feel fully rested and to stay healthy.
Our dentists can supply you with a home sleep test, if desired, and have the results reviewed by a board-certified sleep doctor. The key to successful sleep apnea treatment is keeping your airway open throughout the night. One way of doing that is with a CPAP machine. But many people prefer a sleep appliance, which fits a lot like a sports mouthguard.
Unlike a CPAP, a sleep appliance is:
- Unobtrusive – There’s no face mask or tubing for you and a bed partner to get used to, and no noisy motor. An appliance makes a minimal impact on your sleep routine.
- Convenient – Travel is hassle-free with an appliance. It’s so compact that you can use it anywhere, even on an airplane or during a campout. You won’t need anything other than the appliance itself; no batteries, electricity, or distilled water.